Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cilantro Bean Quinoa Salad

This salad feeds lots of people - is easy to make, full of flavor and super healthy.  I pretty take it to most potlucks and always get rave reviews!!

Cilantro Bean Quinoa Salad

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
Cook quinoa in broth, water & orange juice.  It cooks much like oatmeal or rice. 

Sauce:
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup evoo (olive oil)
2 tbsp fresh parlsey (I have used 1 tbsp or dried parsley if no fresh on hand)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper
2 large garlic cloves
12 olives (I have also used a small can of green chilies when I did not have olives and it was delicious)

Blend all sauce ingredients together - food processor or I just use a blender or my magic bullet.

Once quinoa is cooked you add the sauce and pretty much whatever else you would like.

 The original recipe calls for roasted red peppers (broil skin side up till blackened, put in ziplock bag for 10 min, peel skin off, chop and add).  I have done that - but I usually leave them out and add pretty much whatever I like: tomatoes, spinach, cheese, grilled onions, corn.

The original recipe also calls for 1 can of chick peas or black beans.  I usually do 2 cans of beans cause I love them - one of each - or have used pinto beans as well.  Its always delicious!!!

No comments: