Sunday, March 20, 2011

ANGEL FOOD CAKE from scratch

For my mom's birthday I planned a gorgeous dessert of strawberry shortcakes and whipped cream only to find out that what she REALLY wanted was angel food cake--not shortcakes. So I had to find a recipe from scratch (though the boxed kinds are fairly decent) because I couldn't present my mother with a cake made from a box on her birthday.
I found a great recipe, but altered it a little to the ingredients and tastes we have here at home:

ANGEL FOOD CAKE from scratch

SIFT TOGETHER THOROUGHLY:
1 cup flour (preferably cake flour)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
then SET ASIDE

BEAT TOGETHER UNTIL STIFF PEAKS FORM:
1 1/2 cups egg whites (whites from about 8 eggs)
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt

THEN ADD
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 TBSP AT A TIME UNTIL MERINGUE FORMS

Fold in flour/pwdr sugar mixture until well mixed

Pour into a greased bunt pan
Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees

Serve with berries, whipped cream, and/or chocolate fondue

No comments: