Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oatmeal Carmelitas

I think some people call these Turtle Bars, but I haven't yet found a recipe that I really really like under that name. But I recentlycame across these "Carmelitas" in a recipe book I have and found them quite scrumptious. Let me know what you think!

Crust:
2 cups flour
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup softened butter

Filling:
1 x 12.5 oz jar (1 cup) caramel ice cream topping
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.

Combine all the crust ingredients and when the mixture is crumbly, press half of it into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the caramel sauce and flour. When crust is done partially cooking, sprinkle the nuts and chocolate chips onto the crust, pour the caramel mixture over it, and then sprinkle the remaining crust mixture on top. Bake for another 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool for an hour, then cut into bars.

No comments: